Did You Purchase or Lease a Lemon in Los Angeles? If So, A Los Angeles Lemon Law Attorney Can Help
Despite all the advances in modern vehicle technology, some cars, trucks, and SUVs still arrive in dealership showrooms with issues that cannot be fixed. Purchasing or leasing one of these “lemons” can be extremely frustrating—and it can be even more frustrating if the dealership refuses to treat you fairly. Fortunately, California law protects consumers who purchase and lease lemons, and a Los Angeles lemon law attorney at Strategic Legal Practices can help you assert your legal rights.
Do I Have a California Lemon Law Claim in Los Angeles?
What qualifies as a “lemon”? There are five basic requirements for filing a lemon law claim under California’s consumer protection laws:
- Your vehicle must be under a factory or manufacturer warranty;
- The issue with your vehicle is covered under warranty and impairs your vehicle’s usability, safety or value;
- The issue first occurred within 18 months of delivery or your first 18,000 miles of driving (subject to exceptions);
- You have notified the manufacturer of the problem if required; and,
- You have made a “reasonable” number of attempts to get your vehicle repaired at the dealership.
Meeting these five requirements establishes a presumption that your vehicle is a lemon. But, even if the presumption does not apply, a Los Angeles lemon law attorney may still be able to help you. As a result, regardless of the specific issue with your vehicle or your vehicle’s repair history, you should speak with an attorney about your legal rights.
Am I Entitled to a Replacement Vehicle in Los Angeles?
When you have a lemon law claim under California’s consumer protection laws, it is up to you to decide what remedy to pursue. If you like your vehicle, aside from it being a lemon, you can request a replacement. When you request a replacement vehicle, the manufacturer must provide:
- A substantially identical vehicle with the same options you initially chose;
- The same warranty or service contract you originally purchased; and,
- Coverage for all expenses related to the repair and surrender of your lemon (i.e., rental car and towing expenses).
Am I Entitled to a Refund in Los Angeles?
If you want to purchase a different car, you can request a refund instead. Under California’s lemon law, a refund must include full coverage for:
- Your down payment and monthly payments;
- Sales tax, registration fees, and other vehicle-related charges;
- Payoff of your auto loan; and,
- Coverage for all expenses related to the repair and surrender of your lemon (i.e. rental car and towing expenses).
Am I Entitled to a Cash Settlement in Los Angeles?
A third option you have under California’s lemon law consumer protections is to request a cash settlement. If you want to keep your car despite its issue (or issues), a Los Angeles lemon law attorney can seek to negotiate a settlement on your behalf. Just keep in mind that once you accept a settlement, you will lose your ability to request a replacement vehicle or refund at a later date.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation with a Los Angeles Lemon Law Attorney
If you purchased or leased a lemon in Los Angeles, we encourage you to contact us for more information. To speak with a Los Angeles lemon law attorney in confidence, call 888-757-5366 or request a free consultation online today.